I tend to write about how to save money on groceries without coupons. But sometimes, using coupons can come in handy in creating a super cheap meal that is “real” (i.e. something you can’t toss in the microwave straight from the box).
I used coupons for every ingredient in this meal, aside from the pasta. This dinner is nothing special. But, it was tasty. And it was one of the least expensive meal I’ve ever made, not only on a per serving basis, but as a whole. It only cost me $1.15 to make the entire thing!
This was all I served for dinner so I divvied up the dish between the two of us and we had huge portions. But if you’re serving this as a side, it could definitely feed a family of four.
- 2 turkey burger patties – 1/2 lb. total – $0.55 (See deal here)
- 1/4 jar of pizza sauce (paid $0.79) – $0.20
- 1/2 bag of peppers and onions (got for free) – FREE
- 1/2 box macaroni (paid $0.79) – $0.40
* Of course, I did use a few seasonings. I used a few shakes of garlic salt and a tiny amount of a packet of taco seasoning that I’ve been using for ages. I tend to just sprinkle it here and there in dishes. You can use whatever you have on hand – this really is a versatile meal.
Total cost for meal: $1.15
Cost per serving main/only dish (2 servings): $0.58
Cost per serving as side dish (4 servings): $0.29
How I made it:
1. Boiled pasta in a pot of salted water.
2. Cut/mashed up thawed turkey burgers with a knife to create a ground turkey consistency.
3. Browned turkey in a separate skillet, adding peppers and onions along with my choice of seasonings.
4. Drained pasta and transferred into the ground turkey skillet.
5. Mixed in pizza sauce.
I let it sit for about five minutes to let the flavors marinate (and to avoid burning my mouth). It really turned out much better than I expected.
This was just one of those “I need to go food shopping but I don’t feel like going tonight” kind of meals where I just had to use what I had on hand out of sheer lazines