Homemade Caramel Coffee Creamer

The idea of homemade coffee creamer has piqued my interest for quite some time. I can easily go through multiple bottles of coffee creamer in a week, since I’m a pretty heavy coffee drinker. At about $3 a pop, that’s $24 per month just on coffee creamer alone. So I decided to make it myself to see if I could save a few dollars.

Make your own homemade coffee creamer in under 2 minutes. Easy to make and customize!

I used the steps in this tutorial. I made a few tweaks because the tutorial was for vanilla creamer and I wanted to create a caramel coffee creamer. It was also too sweet for my taste, so I added a bit more milk.

Homemade Coffee Creamer

Ingredients:

• 14-oz can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 18-oz of milk (you can also use 1/2 and 1/2 if you want a thicker consistency)
  • 1-tbsp vanilla extract (the cheap stuff will do, I can’t taste a difference)
  • 2-tbsp of Torani Caramel syrup

Pour milk into your container. You can reuse an old coffee creamer bottle if you have one on hand.

Pour in the can of sweetened condensed milk. It’ll rest at the bottom until you shake it up.

Add the vanilla extract and caramel syrup. Feel free to use any syrup you’d like, or forgo the syrup altogether. This is a very versatile recipe!

Shake the container until all ingredients are well incorporated.

homemadecoffeecreamerstep4

Now take a sip. Make adjustments if necessary. You may need to add more milk if it’s too sweet for your taste or more flavored syrup if it doesn’t have enough flavor.

homemadecoffeecreamerstep5

Calling this a recipe is a stretch. You literally just pour and shake, and you have coffee creamer. But hey, I’m all for saving time.

Update: I finally did the cost comparison (sorry for taking so long on that!) and it isn’t as inexpensive as I’d hoped. :( The biggest expense is the sweetened condensed milk. In order to lower the cost, you can make your own sweetened condensed milk.

You do save a little money by making it yourself, but if you’re only doing this from a cost-saving perspective, it’s really not worth it, in my opinion. With that said, I do think this tastes incredible and I love being able to customize the taste to my preference. So I do still make it occasionally.

Comments

Hi Jazmin,

This is great! I didn’t even know you could make your own coffee creamer. I can’t wait to try this!

Cheers,
    Becky

Yum! I’ve been making sweet creamer with evaporated milk & sweetened condensed milk and never thought about adding caramel to it. What a good idea! I’m a new follower by way of the Pin Junkie’s Friday link up. Have a great weekend!
    Melanie
    violetsbuds.blogspot.com

this sounds iike something even i could whip up! any thoughts on how long this would last? i’m not a big coffee drinker so wouldn’t need this much. thinking maybe freezing the extra in ice cube trays for iced coffee would be a good way to go?

• 14

I can go through it in a few day, so I never have any leftover! LOL. I think a good guideline would be to use it by the expiration date of the whole milk, as it’s the only perishable thing in the recipe.

I’ll try freezing a few cube for iced coffee and let you know how it goes. That’s a great idea, Jenn! :)

Thank you for sharing this. My American friend has been puzzling everyone by asking for coffee creamer since she got to the UK – it’s just something we don’t do. I might make her some or just give her the recipe to make herself.

Every morning I have a couple of cups of coffee with a QUITE A LOT OF CREAM. Great recipe, just my kind of yum! (Sharon)

Another big Thank You for sharing at the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT.

Sharon and Denise ♥
    Fashion | Food | Beauty | Antiques | DIY | and much more

I use a ton of coffee creamer too! This is a great way to save money. This post would fit in perfectly with Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop’s theme & our readers would love to see this. I’d love it if you linked this up to our hop. Just click on “Carrie This Home” next to my picture and that will take you right to the hop.
    Thank you and have a great day!

Anonymous says

I don’t use any kind od coffee creamer, but my husband drinks a litle bit of coffee with his creamer…he prefers hazlenut….but the reason I am commenting is, I have to disagree with you on the vanilla, NOTHING can compare to pure Vanillas extract…the imitation (cheap) does not even come close to real vanilla….I make my own…a fifth of good grade vodka with 8 split vanilla beans and allow to sit for 6 weeks….It is the best vanilla you will ever taste…and anything that calls for vanilla, it has to be good or the end product is well, less than a quality product..now I am going to make my hubby some hazel nut coffee creamer…he goes thru this stuf like crazy!!!!

• 33

Anonymous says

I would love to make my own vanilla, but vanilla beans are VERY EXPENSIVE! I can’t even IMAGINE how much 8 of them would set you back ~ almost makes a trip to Mexico cost-effective! :-)

• 34

margaret says

Actually, if you try ebay, the vanilla beans are quite affordable.
        Just make sure you choose a seller with a good reputation.
        There are different GRADES, please look up the type that suites your purpose.
        The lower grade is fine for making extract.
        10 beans can run less than $10, and that should include shipping too.

Anonymous says

Okay, that looks simple enough! But I want Pumpkin Spice creamer; my girls use a LOT!! I’m assuming I would still use some vanilla, but what then? Pumpkin pie spice mix?
    Thanks for your help and the recipe!

• 37

I haven’t tried adding a pumpkin element to this. But I did do some research for you and found that Torani has a pumpkin spice syrup. If you used pumpkin pie spice (the powder), I have a feeling that the powder might float to the top or your cup once you add your coffee. So I think it might be safer to just swap out the caramel syrup for the pumpkin spice syrup.

If you do try it, please let me know how it turns out – I’d love to try some myself!

• 44

Anonymous says

I don’t think you save a lot, but if you run out of store bought or just want something without corn syrup and chemicals, this recipe is AWESOME!!

Anonymous says

Sounds great, but worried the sweetened condensed milk will make it too sweet? Going to have to play with this and see what I can do to make it less sweet.

• 48

Due to the cost of living in my area, I’m not saving an incredible amount of money since milk is over $4 per gallon here. But if you live in a lower cost of living area, I do think there would be considerable savings.

Jazmin,
    thank you so much for the link love!! I’ve been dying to make some different flavors, but just haven’t gotten around to it yet. Caramel is one of my favorites and definitely on my to-do list!
    Thanks again and I wish you an amazing 2014!

This looks so yummy! I usually just put skim milk in my coffee, but I may have to try this. I bet it would be great in an iced coffee as well. Thanks for linking up to the Thursday STYLE link party! Hope to see you at the party again this week!

• 54

• 56

I haven’t yet (I am so forgetful!) but I will price it out next time I make this. My gut instinct tells me I’m not saving an incredible amount of money since milk is over $4 per gallon in my area. But if you live in a lower cost of living area, I do think there would be considerable savings.

Anonymous says

If you like the cinnamon/vanilla, instead of making the special creamer you can add a dash of cinnamon and 1/2 t. of vanilla to the top of your ground and brew. Yummm

Nickib says

I’ve been making my own coffee creamer for about a year now, initially trying to recreate the Italian Cream flavor. I don’t think it’s actually any cheaper (my recipe), but I know it’s better without all of the chemicals! I use a simple recipe of equal quantities of Sweetened Condensed Milk and Evaporated Canned Milk. I usually use 2 cans of each, heat it on the stove to mix well and shake in some powdered vanilla coffee creamer. Even though there is still “milk” in the ingredients, I think it stays fresh longer than using “regular” milk. Be careful when heating because if you don’t keep the heat on low and stir constantly the Sweetened Condensed Milk will start to caramelize and you will have little bits of dark stuff in your creamer. It doesn’t hurt it, but it’s not as appealing as smooth, bit-free creamer. At first my homemade version didn’t taste as sweet as the brand name, but now we are used to it and it is yummy, especially on cold mornings.

Trackbacks