How to Clean Drip Pans Naturally

Confession time: I haven’t cleaned the drip pans on my stove since I’ve moved into this apartment. I’ve lived here a few months. Apparently I have an issue with letting things boil over in the pot… so my drip pans end up looking like I saved them from the remains of a burned-to-the-ground house. Not cool.

How to clean drip pans naturally and without all of those scary chemicals. Quick and easy method.

What is cool, however, is how I went about cleaning the drip pans. As you can see in the after picture, the drip pans don’t look 100% perfect after I cleaned them.

I’m okay with that. I wasn’t after perfection. I just wanted them clean without having to use a bunch of scary chemicals that would burn my nose hairs off.

I tend to worry a lot. I know myself – if I used anything stronger I would’ve worried about being blown to pieces when I turned on the stove.

So, a good old fashioned scrub down with dish soap and baking soda it was. Even if it’s irrational, unfortunately it’s my thought process.

Now, this isn’t a set it and forget it method. You’re going to have to put some elbow grease into this. Not much. Just enough to get most of the gunk out. And boy was it gunky.

I’m actually almost embarrassed to show this to you, but I guess I’ll take one for the team just this time.

Here is the hot mess that lives beneath my burners. Get it? Hot Mess!

I’d love to say that I “let it get really bad just for this blog post” but I can’t.

Step 1: Remove burners, lift out the drip pans and shake them out into the sink or into a garbage bag to get rid of any loose gunk.

Step 2: Spray down the drip pan. You’ll be surprised how much gunk this removes on it’s own. It helps if your faucet has a powerful spray like mine does.

Please excuse the marks on my little blue bowl. I use it to hang my crocheted dish scrubbie off the side and it accumulates drip marks.

Step 3: Combine dish soap and baking soda in a 1:1 ratio in a small bowl. Mix together until it creates a frosting-like consistency with a slightly foamy texture.

Here is what it looks like when it’s all mixed up.

Step 4: Apply the soap and baking soda mixture to your drip pans being sure to slather it on generously. Once it’s nice and covered, give it a nice scrub for a few seconds just to loosen things up. I scrubbed for about 30 seconds on the one that was in the worst shape (the one used at the top of this post). The others only required 10 seconds or so.
Step 5: Transfer them to Ziploc bags so they’re out of the way and aren’t soaping up your counters. Let them sit for about an hour. If you don’t want to waste good bags on this, just use the plastic bags your groceries are bagged in. Actually, I should’ve done that myself but didn’t think of it until right now.
Now would be a good time to lift up that “hood” and clean whatever this thing is called. Again, a little soap and water will do the job just fine.
Step 6: Remove from bags and scrub away. I didn’t get a picture of this part. But here’s the finished result.
Note: I scrubbed with a crocheted dish scrubbie. You will have WAY better results with the tough side of a regular dish sponge.
I’m happy with the results.Are they 100% perfect and the most new-looking drip pans in the whole world? No. But it is a huge improvement. It was easy enough and didn’t require any scary chemicals.

Never Miss a Frugal Post! Suscribe by Email Below:

I’m curious to know. How do you clean your drip pans?

Comments

Ok. This is amazing and I’m probably do this first thing in the morning. How incredible! The stove and I sometimes get mad at each other and go days without speaking because I get so mad it him- er, it for getting so dirty and gross all the time.

I’m always amazed at what simple products that we have in the kitchen or at home can do. Most of the time we run out and buy something when all we have to do is reach for those good old-fashioned products like baking soda, etc. can do. This looks fabulous. My drip pans definitely need cleaning.

I used to just leave them until they where really bad (and had to use oven cleaner on them…) but now I find that I can be super lazy, whenever I use the stove (I love my crock pot…) I just put them in the dishwasher. Takes no time and my stove always looks clean…

Anonymous says

I have a sealed top gas stove with unsightly brown “cooking stains”. Not food stains, just cooking stains. I wonder if this would help those? If I use a scouring pad/scrubber it will scratch the paint finish.

Anonymous says

To Anonymous above, try Bon Ami. It’s a powder like Ajax, but is made to prevent scratching. I haven’t tried it on metal, but it’s great on my ceramic dishes – 40 years old and look (almost) like new.

Well, starting this afternoon, I’ll be using the method that you described and also using it for the few spots on the inside of the oven. I was never satisfied with how the dishwasher didn’t work even though I’d scrubbed them as thoroughly as possible before putting them in the dishwasher. I didn’t try oven cleaner on the drip pans because they seemed like the kind of metal that the oven cleaner warned you not to use it on – I’ll want to kick myself if I find out that I could have actually used that oven cleaner on the drip pans at the same time I was cleaning the oven! Ha ha! However, I haven’t used the typical oven cleaner for years and years because it seems so lethal and I’ve been battling health problems for decades. Now, for the past 9 years, the service dog that I have is allergic to the world and can be very sensitive to some odors, chemicals, and a lot of environmental factors so I’m very careful what I expose her to. She is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier (commonly called pit bull) Phoebe, she takes care of me 24/7 by herself, is my best friend and I trust her with my very life so it’s very important that I do whatever I can to create a safe and comfortable environment for her, also. Most recently, I’d been cleaning such messes with a mix of vinegar and baking soda and I’ve been rather pleased with those results. For just the last couple of weeks, I’ve been incorporating hydrogen peroxide into my cleaning routines (especially laundry, soaking kitchen scrubbers, combs, hair brushes & toothbrushes). I really like the fresh smell and brightness of my laundry and I do like the way that it cleans, but I don’t know that I’d be comfortable using it if I still had kids in the home – or even other people who don’t listen well. As it is, I only have a personal care giver who comes in and helps me with housekeeping, laundry, some shopping, some cooking, etc. or more correctly, does those things while I get the extra sleep that I need, & she’s so very careful and conscientious that even though she could always have an accident, that would be no different than what could happen to me! Thanks for providing such a great site for us to use!