This recipe for vegetarian breakfast burritos is so easy to make! Even without meat, this recipe is perfectly hearty. The burritos are on the smaller side but oh-so-filling especially when you down it with a nice cup of morning coffee. They’re cheesy and delicious and taste authentically Hispanic.
Typically, when I freezer cook I make extremely large quantities to last us a while. But since we now have a smaller freezer, I’ve had to make my freezer cooking batches a little smaller.
This recipe makes 12 vegetarian breakfast burritos. This is fine for the two of us. It’s about two weeks of breakfast since our household only consists of two and I also had some ready-made pancakes in the freezer (pancake post coming soon). If you have a larger household just double or triple the recipe. It’s still cheap and perfectly delicious.
Before I begin with the recipe/tutorial for these vegetarian burritos I want to make a very important note. I *highly* recommend purchasing the beans in sauce. Using the beans in sauce = avoiding an overly dry burrito.
It gives a nice Spanish flavor to every part of the burrito and eliminates the need for additional seasonings aside from salt and pepper. I’m partial to the Goya brand (no, I’m not being paid to say this) because it’s the brand I grew up eating. Look for the red can, not the blue. Those are the ones with sauce.
Update: A reader brought to my attention that the particular can of beans I recommend has ham flavoring. I didn’t notice this! If you are unable to find another variety without ham flavoring, simply add a small amount of tomato sauce to the pinto beans and add a few seasonings to make your own version. Another idea is to use salsa. Whatever you use, just make sure it’s saucy, otherwise your burritos will be dry.
Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos Recipe
- 1 can of beans in sauce (brand matters in this case – use Goya)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of uncooked white rice (or 1 cup cooked)
- 12 flour tortillas
1. Measure 1/2 cup of white rice and cook as usual. Everyone has their own way of cooking white rice so I won’t weigh in on that.
2. Make scrambled eggs. Season as you please – I added milk, salt and pepper. Then transfer out of pan temporarily.
3. Pour can of beans into pan and cook until heated through. Approximately 3 or 4 minutes.
4. Add the cooked scrambled eggs and rice into the beans and mix thoroughly until combined. Set aside for a few minutes to let it cool down. I waited about 20 minutes.
5. Start forming your burritos. Add a small amount of the mixture into the center, sprinkle cheese on top, and then fold up burrito style.
6. Pack burritos individually in aluminum foil and then pack them into freezer safe bags.
How to Heat Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos:
Unwrap 1 burrito and place on small plate. Microwave for 90 seconds. Turning over every 30 seconds.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for vegetarian breakfast burritos. They are perfectly freezer friendly, so they speed up my mornings quite a bit and also save a considerable amount of money over store-bought (or worse: gas station) breakfast burritos, and they taste a ton better!