Bake-Ahead Eggs to Save Time and Money

This post may contain affiliate links. To learn more, please see my disclosure policy.

For the last few weeks I’ve been baking eggs in muffin tins as soon as I come home from the grocery store. It’s now part of my weekly routine and it’s likely to stay that way for a while since my husband looks forward to his homemade egg “mcmuffins” almost every morning.

Great idea! Save time and money by baking eggs in muffin tins ahead of time. You can have breakfast for the week done in fifteen minutes!

How I do it:

You’ll need:
- One dozen eggs
- Salt + Pepper

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350.

1. Crack eggs into a lightly greased muffin tin.
2. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper onto the eggs.
3. Bake at 350 for fifteen minutes.

You can scramble the yolk if you’d like, but we prefer them with the yolk still intact.

Once I take them out of the oven, I let them cool on the counter for 30 minutes before using a spoon to scoop them out of the muffin tin and transferring them into a Tupperware container.

We store them in the fridge in a sealed container. I can confidently tell you that stay fresh about a week. They don’t hang around long enough for me to tell you whether they stay fresh any longer than that – they’re eaten up pretty quickly!

How we serve them:

We typically serve them egg mcmuffin style. We’ve tried placing the baked eggs on bagels, english muffins and regular bread slices and found that it’s the perfect fit for an english muffin; you’re able to get egg in every bite.

To make our breakfast sandwiches we cut an english muffin in half and place an egg and a slice of cheese on top. Then we close the sandwich and microwave for about 45 seconds. Perfectly warm and gooey every time. And best of all, breakfast is served hot and ready in the time it takes me to pour a nice cup of coffee. :)

This is a huge time and money saver – one minute of work (cracking the eggs into the muffin tins & adding salt & pepper) saves us the temptation of going to the drive-thru for breakfast (not that it’s a regular thing around here – but we’re easily tempted on busy mornings) and we save a nice chunk of change in the process.

In the future, I plan on freezing them to see if they freeze well. I’d love to hear if any of you have tried doing this yourselves or have experience adding veggies into the egg cups.

Comments

• 8

Anonymous says

I just baked some up for this week (haven’t taste tested), but my regular tins are taller than yours. The eggs are about 1/2 the diameter and twice the height. I’ll just not make a sandwich out of them; I’m sure they will work great as a on-the-go breakfast either way.

If these come a staple around here (like I think they will!) I’ll keep them in mind the next time I need to buy a muffin tin. :)

This is so genius! Not only does it simplify things to make these ahead of time, but I was sold when you mentioned they are the perfect size for English muffins! We love making our own mcmuffin sandwiches :) (Secret ingredient: a little onion & chive cream cheese spread under the egg!)

• 12

Oh I can’t wait to try it with your secret ingredient! They are the perfect size for English muffins – when used on regular bread and bagels there’s just a bunch of awkward egg-less space on the bread haha.

Ellen says

I’ve tried doing this with different vegetables, cheeses, and meats. If you add ham or sausage, some peppers and onions, and some cheese, it’s like a mini omelet. When I do this, I definitely mix up the yolk a little bit.

• 17

Hey Maryalice – we just cook it uncovered on a small plate. Not sure if that’s the best way to cook it – but it’s what we’ve been doing and it works out well for us! :)

Anonymous says

We do eggs in the microwave on an as needed basis. You use a regular coffee mug, coat it lightly with a spray oil to prevent sticking, crack an egg into it and scramble with a fork. Cook for around 1-2 minutes (depends on your microwave) and you have a perfect round egg to fit on a english muffin or biscuit.

I could see that doing several at once in the muffin tine would be a bit more of a time saver and nice if you want a solid yolk as you wouldn’t have to scramble (you need to break the yolk I’m pretty sure for zapping in the microwave to prevent spatter).

This sounds like a great idea! I have seen people make breakfast burritos and breakfast sandwiches, fully assembled, then wrapped in tin foil and put in a freezer bag in the freezer. I haven’t done this yet, but I have been thinking about trying to make a bunch and put them in the freezer, because my family LOVES egg sandwiches. Would love to hear how it goes for you!

What a fantabulous idea!! I’m totally doing this for hubby. He usually leaves for work before I even wake up and this would be a nice treat for him in the mornings since he’s usually limited on how much time he has to make himself something for breakfast.

Now this is an idea I can get behind. I was just wondering though, are the eggs cooked through? The picture looks as though the yolk is still liquidy. I am going to make some up and freeze them. I can see me making them ahead already assembled and freezing them in parchment paper (so that it can go into the microwave). Every week I make up English muffin bread that I think these would go great with,

I do the same but scrambled eggs then top with cheese and either ham or sausage. Throw it on a toasted eng muffin, wrap in plastic then put them in a freezer bag. Take one out and put in fridge night before and hubs nukes for about 1:30 in the am. ( works same if you don’t scramble too) easy peasy :)

I put them over lettuce or smashed avocados….sounds weird but tastes delicious especially if you’re a low glycemic eater. I also add some salsa on the side. Works well if you take for lunch too.

I have made freeze ahead egg mcmuffins before and they were fine EXCEPT the condensation from freezer to warming made the muffin a little soggy for my taste. This method I think I love much more because it would taste fresh and the muffin could be toasted. I had much better luck freezing burrito’s.

Does it matter if the egg yolks aren’t completely cooked? I have never had an issue eating them that way straight off of the skillet or whatever, but my husband was concerned that it might make me sick. I can’t wait to try it though, it will make my mornings much less stressful!

• 38

When we make them this way, sometimes we purposely leave them a bit runny since we both like the whole yolk explosion thing lol. We’ve never had any issues. But, if it makes you nervous, I’d err on the side of caution since they will be sitting in the fridge for a week. :)

Jenny says

I make egg mcmuffins a dozen at a time & freeze them for my husband. We microwave the eggs in ramekins (break the yolk first!). I then slide the eggs onto half an english muffin with a slice of cheese and a slice of canadian bacon. It ends up costing me $6-7 for a dozen of them, so a HUGE savings!

• 43

Jazmin Rode says

I’d try 13 to 15 minutes. We cook them for about 15 minutes and the whites are fully done but we still usually get a runny yolk. But some of the yolks rebel and turn out fully cooked. So maybe short the cooking time by a minute or two.

• 45

Jazmin Rode says

A toaster oven or an oven would work just as well. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you how long to reheat for using those methods. But I would give it only a few minutes.

Trackbacks