DIY Dove Body Wash from Bar Soap

This post was 100% inspired by you guys! When I wrote this post, several of you commented about how you make your own body wash from bar soap. I figured it was time I gave it a try and decided to go with a DIY Dove body wash.
Make your own DIY Dove Body Wash using bar soap, for half the cost of store-bought body wash.

After a bit of trial and error, I finally came up with what I consider to be the perfect (for my liking) recipe. The consistency and the scent are the same as a Dove body wash, but there are fewer bubbles.

You’ll Need:

-6 cups of water
-2 (4.4oz) bars of dove soap (Make sure it says beauty bar, pictured above).
-1 tbsp coconut oil

Directions:

• Using a cheese grater, grate bars of dove soap into a large bowl. It took me about 20 minutes to grate two bars while watching TV.

• Bring water to a simmer. Be sure to use a rather large pot (Mine was 8qts and I had no issues).

• When the water is simmering, mix in grated soap and coconut oil using a spatula. Do not use a whisk. It will create too many bubbles. Mix consistently (but not non-stop) until soap is melted. Mine simmered for about seven to ten minutes.

• Remove from heat and let it sit uncovered in the pot. Set timer for two hours. Once the timer goes off, stir once, then bottle it up into your containers using a funnel.

Here’s a picture of how thick the consistency of the DIY body wash is! Pretty close to the store-bought Dove body wash, right?
I actually let mine sit for four hours, but it was almost too thick to pour. So, I recommend just bottling it up after the first two hours. It will continue to thicken once it’s in the bottles. I used a rinsed shampoo bottle and a mason jar to store mine.
In total, this makes about 28 ounces, which is 4 ounces more than a typical bottle of Dove Body Wash.
And now, it’s time for the true test, the cost breakdown:

Cost Breakdown:

4-pack of Dove bars (Used 1/2 package, so this cost is for two bars): $2.50
Coconut Oil: $0.25
Total Cost to DIY: $2.75 (for 28oz)

Cost Comparison:

Cost of Dove Body Wash In-Store: $5.49 (24 oz)
Cost of DIY Version: $2.75 (28 oz)

Cost per Ounce (Store Bought): $0.23
Cost per ounce (DIY): $0.10

Savings if you DIY: 50%

Final Thoughts:

I plan on doing this again quite regularly. But, since I’m quite flexible with the brands of soap I use, I think I’ll be able to create a more inexpensive recipe using a less costly brand in the future. If, on the other hand, Dove is the only body wash you’ll use, this will save you a considerable amount of money and there are no sacrifices required on your end.
Have you ever made your own body wash?

Comments

• 5

I added the coconut oil for extra moisture. I’ve tried it one other time without coconut oil and it didn’t work as well, but then again it was a different recipe with more water included. If possible, I would try to include the coconut oil.

MDavis says

I think this is a good suggestion for using the leftover bars we accumulate and do not wnat to throw away. I use caress and I love it because of its moisturizers so I am saving all of my leftover bars and making this. Thank you for the great tip on diy doby wash.

Anonymous says

I tried a different mix I ended up with a large amount of body wash. I did not realize that the bubbles were few. Will try this mixture next.

I want to try this but with the dove sensitive. Do I really have to put the coconut oil? I have skin asthma and I’ve been looking for an inexpensive bodywash. I hope you can help me.

• 11

I haven’t tested this specific recipe without coconut oil, so I’m not sure if it contributed to the thick consistency or not. If you don’t mind a potentially different consistency, I say go for it!

Anonymous says

I want to try this but with dove sensitive. Is there really a need to put coconut oil? I have skin asthma. What’s the expiry of the DIY bodywash?

• 13

The body wash should last for as long as the bar Dove soap would last. You can try it without the coconut oil, but it’s possible you’ll end up with a different consistency (I can’t tell you 100% if it will since I haven’t tested this specific recipe without the coconut oil).

Jas says

Mine didnt thicken at all. Definitely not adding as much water next time, probably 3 cups. But great idea adding the coconut oil. I use it for everything and have been looking for more ways to incorporate coco oil into my skin routine. Thank you for the recipe. Do you have a diy lotion?

Laura says

I have made a liquid soap, I used Ivory,
    The bars are really all that you can find the original of, EVERTHING ELSE is ultra or etc.
    THE original is extremely important, I know that it is a good soap as natural as can be, It floats, and get this, It will kill Ticks and Fleas instantly on your pets,Dogs and cats. I have NEVER paid for expensive Dog Shampoo AN NEVER will. It is amazing to see how the bugs just stop right in their track.
    Where can I get coconut oil? And can I use another Oil ?