DIY Dove Body Wash from Bar Soap

This post was 100% inspired by you guys! When I wrote this post, several of you commented about how you make your own body wash from bar soap. I figured it was time I gave it a try and decided to go with a DIY Dove body wash.

Make your own DIY Dove Body Wash using bar soap, for half the cost of store-bought body wash.

After a bit of trial and error, I finally came up with what I consider to be a good (for my liking) recipe. The consistency and the scent are the same as a Dove body wash, but there are fewer bubbles.

Please note: These instructions only apply to the dove beauty bar. I have only tried this with this type of bar soap and I’m in no way a soap-making expert, so unfortunately can’t offer much help with troubleshooting! Commenters that have tried it with different types of soaps have had very mixed experiences.

You’ll Need:

• 6 cups of water
  • 2 (4.4oz) bars of dove soap (Make sure it says beauty bar, pictured above. It may not turn out the same with another soap).
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil

Directions:

Using a cheese grater, grate bars of dove soap into a large bowl. It took me about 20 minutes to grate two bars while watching TV.

Bring water to a simmer. Be sure to use a rather large pot (Mine was 8qts and I had no issues).

When the water is simmering, mix in grated soap and coconut oil using a spatula. Do not use a whisk. It will create too many bubbles. Mix consistently (but not non-stop) until soap is melted. Mine simmered for about seven to ten minutes.

Remove from heat and let it sit uncovered in the pot. Set timer for two hours. Once the timer goes off, stir once, then bottle it up into a squeezable container using a funnel.

Here’s a picture of how thick the consistency of the DIY body wash is! Pretty close to the “real thing!”

I actually let mine sit for four hours, but it was almost too thick to pour. So, I recommend just bottling it up after the first two hours. It will continue to thicken once it’s in the bottles. I used a rinsed shampoo bottle and a mason jar to store mine. The mason jar was a HUGE mistake since I couldn’t get the soap out because it thickened so much. So definitely go with squeezable plastic containers!

In total, this makes about 28 ounces, which is 4 ounces more than a typical bottle of Dove Body Wash.

And now, it’s time for the true test, the cost breakdown:

Cost Breakdown:

• 4-pack of Dove bars (Used 1/2 package, so this cost is for two bars): $2.50
  • Coconut Oil: $0.25
  • Total Cost to DIY: $2.75 (for 28oz)

Cost Comparison:

• Cost of Dove Body Wash In-Store: $5.49 (24 oz)
  • Cost of DIY Version: $2.75 (28 oz)
  • Cost per Ounce (Store Bought): $0.23
  • Cost per ounce (DIY): $0.10
  • Savings if you DIY: 50%

Updates:

• Some have said that this recipe turned out too watery for them. While I have had great results with this specific ratio, some commenters have mentioned that they achieved better results with a ratio of 2 cups of water, to 1 bar of soap.

• My thinking behind adding the coconut oil was to help with thickening (since coconut oil solidifies at room temperature) and to provide a bit of extra moisture. I haven’t personally tested this recipe without the coconut oil. If you are going to omit the coconut oil, I’d probably use the 2 cups of water/1 bar of soap ratio that some have suggested.  But again, I haven’t tried those alterations myself, so can’t tell you 100% if they’ll work.

Get a FREE 5 Sheet Meal Planning Printable by Subscribing!

Comments

• says

I added the coconut oil for extra moisture. I’ve tried it one other time without coconut oil and it didn’t work as well, but then again it was a different recipe with more water included. If possible, I would try to include the coconut oil.

• Kim says

I have made the recipe with 2 cups of water, one bar of Dove soap and one tablespoon babyoil. Where I live(I live in the Netherlands), babyoil is very cheap and it worked out well.

1. MDavis says

I think this is a good suggestion for using the leftover bars we accumulate and do not wnat to throw away. I use caress and I love it because of its moisturizers so I am saving all of my leftover bars and making this. Thank you for the great tip on diy doby wash.

2. Anonymous says

I tried a different mix I ended up with a large amount of body wash. I did not realize that the bubbles were few. Will try this mixture next.

3. says

I want to try this but with the dove sensitive. Do I really have to put the coconut oil? I have skin asthma and I’ve been looking for an inexpensive bodywash. I hope you can help me.

• says

I haven’t tested this specific recipe without coconut oil, so I’m not sure if it contributed to the thick consistency or not. If you don’t mind a potentially different consistency, I say go for it!

4. Anonymous says

I want to try this but with dove sensitive. Is there really a need to put coconut oil? I have skin asthma. What’s the expiry of the DIY bodywash?

• says

The body wash should last for as long as the bar Dove soap would last. You can try it without the coconut oil, but it’s possible you’ll end up with a different consistency (I can’t tell you 100% if it will since I haven’t tested this specific recipe without the coconut oil).

5. Jas says

Mine didnt thicken at all. Definitely not adding as much water next time, probably 3 cups. But great idea adding the coconut oil. I use it for everything and have been looking for more ways to incorporate coco oil into my skin routine. Thank you for the recipe. Do you have a diy lotion?

6. Laura says

I have made a liquid soap, I used Ivory,
    The bars are really all that you can find the original of, EVERTHING ELSE is ultra or etc.
    THE original is extremely important, I know that it is a good soap as natural as can be, It floats, and get this, It will kill Ticks and Fleas instantly on your pets,Dogs and cats. I have NEVER paid for expensive Dog Shampoo AN NEVER will. It is amazing to see how the bugs just stop right in their track.
    Where can I get coconut oil? And can I use another Oil ?

7. Annette Holbrook says

Great idea!! I love the fact that I can use Dove, which I have been told to use (dermatologist), but won’t have to pay the price for the pre-made body wash. I don’t mind using the bars, except they seem to “melt” in the shower. This solves both issues! Thanks!!

8. mimi says

For even more softness, I added 1/3 cup of oatmeal in a stocking while bringing the water to a boil… Now I have my own oat liquid body wash! Perfect for Christmas gifts!

9. says

I found a great way to handle the tedious grating. Place the bar soap in the refrigerator over night, whole or cut into squares. Throw the pieces in the blender or food processor and you’ll have powdered soap quickly. For a whole, cold bar, just cut it with a knife. It will splinter into small pieces and you can skip the appliances if you like.

10. Jenn says

Ok. I used this recipe and it was very watery. I still used the soap and it lathered, ok.

I found 3 bars to 6 cups of water works best. You don’t need any coconut oil. It works with or without it.

So for those of you that had trouble this is the best formula. 1 bar to every 2 cups of water. I actually made 6 bars to 12 cups of water tonight. Worked out perfect. We go through a lot of soap so this is been a huge cost saver.

11. jaklin says

hi this is my firs times trying today. i was so exited but mine turned too watery! 🙁 i don’t know why!

12. Samantha M says

I just made this recipe. I used two bars of Dove soap, 4 and 1/2 cups of water, a tablespoon of Coconut Oil, and 1 tablespoon of Almond Oil. Let’s see hhow it works out! I’ll post later… 🙂

• Jazmin Rode says

Hi T, I’m so sorry but i’m not 100% sure as I’ve only done this myself with the Dove bar.

13. Nikki says

Has anyone ever tried using creamed coconut? I have some here, and it is quite thick and says it can be a replacement for coconut milk when water is added. Any thoughts on what would happen?

14. Darlene says

Hi! I made two different versions, of this soap today. The first was a men’s version, that was made from men’s zest bars, and currently waiting for a batch to cool down, for this batch it was Yardly almond and oatmeal bars. The first batch I cut the recipe in half and it came out fine, but after 2 hours it was very thick. I put it on very low heat to get it loose again and put it in the bottles. It seems to have thickened up again? So for those asking, yes it does seem to work with other brands of soaps too. I have a question? How would Ingo about making the soap a nice color? Would like to make almond one a nice pinkish color. Can I use plain old food coloring?😀

• Jazmin Rode says

I had the same issue with it thickening up considerably, and that’s why I had to use only squeezable bottles! My mason jar was cute but pretty inconvenient to get the stuff out haha! And I haven’t added coloring myself, but I think adding a tiny amount wouldn’t do much harm! I’d definitely use a small amount to avoid any potential staining.

15. mandy cat says

I’m a long time fan of Dr. Bronner’s Castile liquid soap. A 32 ounce bottle lasts forever; it’s very concentrated. I get the baby mild unscented version. I add whatever essential oil strikes my fancy at the moment and a small amount of vegetable glycerin and funnel into a plastic squeeze bottle. A very small amount of this lathers up a storm.

• Leanne says

Let some of us enjoy a great body wash that can be made ourselves without hyping Dr Bronner’s, please. Bronner’s is just not everyones’ cup of tea. I’m one who doesn’t love Dr Bronner’s, I don’t like it, in fact I hate it. It’s too expensive and it dried my skin out. Try using Kirk’s Castille soap to make this body wash, you might find yourself converted!

I used Dial Glycerine (clear green color, fresh scent) for this recipe and LOVE it! I used 1 bar, 3 c water, glycerin, and 1 Tbsp aloe gel. It’s a bit “snotty” but in an old dish soap bottle I don’t notice it much. I should try adding the coconut oil, it’s never too late, AND I’ve read it helps get rid of the “snottiness” of the body wash.

16. Ms Shaye says

Thanks for the recipe my family loved it. We were a body wash was not as thick as your picture but lathered like bar soap. I’m going to make a second batch this weekend

17. says

Love this recipe! I tried it out using Ivory soap, ended up remelting and adding water a few times, but I finally got the texture right with 113g of Ivory, 750ml of water, and 30g of coconut oil. Once I was pleased with the texture, I added ylang ylang and blood orange EOs for scent. Heavenly. 🙂

18. Chris Larish says

Well I just finished trying this soap using dial for the antibacterial component my doctor recommended. I used 3 3oz bars and 3 cups of water. Grated in the food processor, and used the coconut oil because it is so good for your skin. Well…..I let it sit for the 2 hours and it hardened right back up in the pot to a softer version of bar soap. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I reheat it and add more water? I really like the idea of making my own since I live on a strict budget each month. Thanks

• Leanne says

Chris, add more water and melt it down, it won’t hurt anything. I made some with 1 bar of Dial Glycerine (green color) and about 3 c water and it’s thick. If it’s thick but not set just add hot water, mix then let sit. If it’s still too thick, do it again until you hit the right thickness. And don’t forget to keep track of how much water you ended up with in total. I didn’t, oops. Yes I had to go through the adding of more water. I think the amount of water depends on each different soap.

Trackbacks