Are you on the hunt for an easy homemade breadsticks recipe? If so, I’ve got you covered. 😉 These breadsticks are extremely easy to make, are super fluffy and crispy all at the same time. And best of all, there’s no mixer or bread maker required! I do not own a stand mixer, or a bread maker, so this recipe was made 100% by hand.
Before I get into the recipe, I’ll take a minute to talk about a few basics of this breadsticks recipe.
If you’re new to making homemade bread, here’s how to know if yeast is still alive. I’m not a yeast expert or a bread expert. In my very basic understanding, I am confident that my yeast is ready when I can describe it in one of the following terms: foamy, bubbly, frothy. It should also more or less double in size. If your proofed yeast looks anything like the above picture, chances are you’re good to go. The proofing instructions are in the recipe below.
When cutting your dough, you have two options in styling your breadsticks. You can go the uber fancy way and roll them by hand. Or, you can just slice them into sticks with a pizza cutter or knife and call it a day. I chose the latter because I am terrible at hand-rolling breadsticks. I am really, really bad at it. But if you can do it well, they will look more professional.
Easy Homemade Breadsticks Recipe
- 1¼ oz. packet active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water (reserved)
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 3.5 cups flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 3.5 tbsp. melted butter (reserve 1.5 tbsp.)
- Pour yeast into small bowl. Add the ½ cup of warm water and sugar. Stir together. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Once yeast is foamy, combine flour and salt and mix wet mixture into dry ingredients.
- Mix with silicone spatula until a sticky dough forms. Continue to mix with spatula for two to three minutes. Then roll dough onto floured surface.
- Knead with floured hands for ten minutes. If the dough is hard to work with, dust with additional flour. The dough is ready when it is relatively smooth and no longer sticking to your hands.
- Form dough into a ball and transfer into a lightly greased large bowl. Set bowl in a warm location, cover and let rise for one hour.
- Transfer dough onto floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll into a rectangle. Cut lengthwise into six long pieces (a pizza cutter makes this super simple). Cut once more in the middle to create 12 breadsticks.
- Place breadsticks on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Melt butter and brush over breadsticks. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, brush with reserved melted butter. Bake for remaining 5 minutes.Remove from oven and let cool.
And this is what they look like when they’re done. They’re not the most golden breadsticks to ever come out of an oven, but what they lack in color they make up for in a crispy exterior and a soft, chewy middle.
These easy homemade breadsticks really are as simple (and tasty) as it gets. Use for dipping in soup, soaking up sauce with pasta or serve with soft butter for simple enjoyment. I’d love to know if you try this recipe!